If you’re a parent to little kids, you may have found that now having them at home all the time has resulted in their involvement with more domestic activities like cooking or baking together. Now may be the perfect time to introduce them to new flavours.
Children love discovering new things, especially if you’re able to turn it into fun and interesting activities for them. You now have the opportunity to take your family on a global culinary adventure, from within the four walls of your kitchen.
In this blog post, we suggest 5 fun, easy, and healthy recipes that both children and adults will love. They are the perfect way to introduce new foods or flavours to your kids.
DISH: SWEET CURRY
1. Put the Red Curry paste in the frying pan and warm up for 2 mins.
2. Add diced Chicken and fry for 5 mins
3. Add the Aubergine and Courgette, cook together for 3 mins
4. Add the Coconut Milk, cook for a few minutes
5. Add the Peanut Butter
6. Add the fresh Red Chilli, fresh Basil leaves, and Lime zest
7. Cook all together on low heat for 15 mins
8. Serve with rice.
DISH: BEEF AND NOODLE STIR FRY w/ greens
1. Marinate the beef strips in Soy and Fish sauce (50/50 ratio each sauce)
2. Drizzle Olive oil in a frying pan and add the beef strips
3. Add chopped Onion, slices of Carrots, baby Broccoli and grated Ginger. Cook for a few minutes
4. Add the Bok Choy
5. Add a little more Soy sauce, and a bit of water. Cook until vegetables are tender.
6. Finish the dish by adding in Peanuts and fresh Coriander.
7. Boil noodles separately
8. Include Noodles in the pan…Stir fry together.
DISH: SPINACH, TOMATO AND MOZZARELLA PENNE PASTA
1. Drizzle a bit of Olive oil in a pan and fry the onion for a few minutes
2. Add the Garlic, stir in
3. Add the tinned tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to boil
4. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes
5. Boil the Pasta (as per the instructions)
6. Add Spinach to the tomato sauce
7. Add Parmesan
8. Now add the cooked Pasta into the sauce (with a bit of the cooking water)
9. Stir in the Mozzarella, allow to melt.
DISH: AVOCADO AND STRAWBERRY SALAD
1. Cut avocado In half and remove the seed
2. Scoop away some of the avocado to deepen the avocado halves like a bowl, set aside the scooped avocado
3. In a large bowl mix the salad leaves, chopped Strawberries and the Pecan nuts. Add the scooped avocado
4. Take out a small pot, place on low heat – add the sugar, water and lemon juice. Stir quickly until the sugar is completely dissolved. It should turn into an amber colour. (If unsure of how to do this please watch any Youtube video on ‘how to caramelise sugar’)
5. Add Salt and Chilli flakes
6. Add to salad
7. Separate the salad into the prepared avocado halves, like adding into the bowl
8. Serve right away.
DISH: PORK AND RICOTTA MEATBALLS IN TOMATO SAUCE
1. In a bowl combine Pork mince, Ricotta, half of the Parmesan, Lemon zest, half of the Garlic, Breadcrumbs, Salt & Pepper
2. Mix with your hands until well combined. Then mould into 20 small sized balls.
3. In a cooking pan, fry the onion in a drizzle of Olive oil. Add the remaining Garlic
4. Then add the Passata and simmer for a few minutes
5. Stir in the meatballs and cook for another 15 minutes
6. Add a bit of chopped chorizo. Stir occasionally
7. Serve with rice, pasta, chips or potatoes.
Discover the taste
Children are generally keen to discover new and unique flavours from food. The sooner you start introducing it the better. Take your whole family on a great culinary adventure around the world. You can even turn these into special themed party nights to truly feel like you have travelled to another country. I leave this up to your imagination!